ESPN.com Preseason All Americans

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
This has to be the best preseason All-American team against the Caste System in years... It can be found on ESPN.com on the front page right now.

Whites include:
QB- Brady Quinn (Notre Dame)
FB- Brian Leonard (Rutgers)
WR- Jeff Samardzija (Notre Dame)
TE- Zach Miller (Arizona State)
G- Mike Jones (Iowa)
C- Ryan Kalil (USC)
G- Jordan Grimes (Purdue)
T- Joe Thomas (Wisconsin)

DE- Adam Carriker (Nebraska)
DT- Quin Pit******* (Ohio State)
LB- Paul Pozluzny (Penn State)
S- Tom Zbikowski (Notre Dame)

K- Mason Crosby (Colorado)
P- Daniel Sepulveda (Baylor)

So that's 14 out of 25 (56%). Hopefully all these guys plus others can be All-Americans at the end of the year too!

JoeV

Guru
Check out alot of the mock drafts for 2007, some of them have 14 whites going in the first round!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
So its verified Pitt******* is white? He looks to be half to me and more so in some pics than others but hopefully he is one of us and goes in the first round as no white dt as gone in round one since Hovan. Also Eric Weddle should be listed but he is not, everyone will know his name at the end of the season.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that's a big improvement! but i have to agree with Leonardfan, Weddle is the best defensive back in the country. period. how could they leave him out?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Leonardfan said:
no white dt as gone in round one since Hovan. Also Eric Weddle should be listed but he is not, everyone will know his name at the end of the season.

A white defensive tackle in the NFL is almost as rare as a white safety, maybe rarer. Most white d-linemen are ends, interesting because end is a "speed" position while tackle is a "strength" position. As discussed in this thread, as many as three NFL teams may start two whites at DE this season, while there are almost no white starters at tackle:

[url]http://www.castefootball.us/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2819&a mp;a mp;PN=7[/url]Edited by: Don Wassall

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
The knock on Weddle, other than him being white, has to be that the WRs in the MWC doesn't warrant much respect from the media... The preseason All-Americans mean almost nothing - the real deal is to make the postseason All-Americans... so Weddle will certainly have his chance. I always took Pit******* for white, is his race in question? I'll try to look into it..

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hey Occ, I agree with you regarding Weddle except for the fact he held supposedly the best WR in college football, Calvin Johnson to 2 catches for 19 yards in the Emerald Bowl. I agree with you on the postseason All-Americans though but at least the preseason All-Americans gives us an idea of who to watch. I thought Pitt******* was white too but he has some pics where he has odd hair...im kind of critical in the regards as I really only cheer for white players who look completley of european decent and have no doubts about their backgroud...Pitt******* could be 100% white which would be nice and I hope he is.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
There are a lot of things that look positive for whites in the initial stages, btu they end up get screwed even worse in the end. This sounds good, but be careful as it might all be for naught. I agree that Weddle should be on the list, and I am thinking he will be on the real list at the end of the year. There are plenty of good MWC receivers who never get any praise, because there are proportionally more white WR's in the MWC than in any other 1A conference.