Danny Farmer

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just don't get it.Danny Farmer was as good a receiver
as UCLA has ever had.He broke record after record!He
gets drafted by the Steelers who never give him a chance.
Then he gets picked up by the Bucs who don't play him
and cut him.This kid is 6'4 with incredbile speed and
jumping ability.Similar to Matt Jones or Drew Bennett.
How can he not get a chance.He was a 2 sport star at
UCLA.He is unstoppable at times and he has good hands.
Some team needs to wake up and sign this guy to a roster
spot!!

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I thought he was on the Bengals? But, you're right he was way too good to be never given a chance. As of now I doubt he would be picked up until after the draft. It's a sad state that white wr and rb's are used for tackling dummies in practice, and rarely used anything beyond that.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's no question Farmer ranks up there with the worst cases of Caste System bigotry. I would disagree withthe assessment on his speed. He has average speed for an NFL wide receiver, but in every other important area -- hands, route-running, intelligence, feel for the position, jumping ability -- Farmer is exceptional. There's no question he has the total package to be a huge star.

He did play for the Bengals for a season and a half after the Steelers waived him, and was their most productive receiver in the limited playing time he was given. The Bengals should never have cut him before the '03 season, and then, ala the treatment received by Luke Staley, not a single team would sign him even as a backup. I could tell by the way that he was being used in preseason games last year that Jon Gruden was going to cut him without giving him any opportunities after he signed with Tampa in the spring of '04. If he hadstayed with Cincinnati he would have had the kind of breakout season T. J. Houshmandzadeh had last year, but even better.

Danny had one glorious moment -- a great game-winning touchdown catch that helped knock the Steelers, the team that had so royally screwed him,out of playoff contention in '02. Of course, as with almost all white players in the NFL at "taboo" positions, the joke ended up being on Farmer as he waived by the Bengals as his "reward."Edited by: Don Wassall

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What is it with Cower and white players?I was shocked
when they even drafted Farmer because Bill Cower has
always been,let me say not to friendly to his own
kind.Farmer has good speed although he is not as fast
as Jones.Who is?lol.I really want to see him latch on
with a team who will appreciate what he brings to the
table.He can be a study receiver for years to come.