Article on college racism in sports.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
we've seen this posted on the boards before, i believe. but this is the most poignant comment in the piece:
Joe Paterno, the legendary head coach of Penn State, was once asked at a clinic what the worst mistake he ever made as a coach was. "I make it every year," he said. "I keep putting the guy with the potential on the field instead of the guy who gets the job done."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
If he does it every year, it sounds like a habit instead of a mistake.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Old Joe sang a song of praise echoing Fisher DeBerry's love of black players over white ones last year right after DeBerry's comments were made. It's a good guess that if JoePa recruited John Cappelletti today, he'd be a backup blocking fullback or a linebacker, much as he's donewith record-setting tailback Tim Shaw and otherstandout white high school RBs.

Triad

Mentor
Jimmy Chitwood said:
we've seen this posted on the boards before, i believe. but this is the most poignant comment in the piece:
Joe Paterno, the legendary head coach of Penn State, was once asked at a clinic what the worst mistake he ever made as a coach was. "I make it every year," he said. "I keep putting the guy with the potential on the field instead of the guy who gets the job done."

I have often heard that repeating the same actions with the hope of getting a different result is the definition of either stupidity or insanity. Could explain the lack of success, with the exception of last year's senior laden team, a great school like Penn State has had over the past decade.