Age Limits

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know if there is an age limit on playing high school sports. I'm sure there is and it may vary from state to state. What is it for your state?
The reason I ask is I continue to seecertain affletes graduating at age 19 and or turning 20 before or at the beginning of their freshman year in college!

I've seen it mentioned on other posts about black athletes maturing faster, I'm not sure if this is true, but I know many are older, sometimes byalmost 2 years.

It may not seem like much, but in the early years you have mostkids 12 -13yrs. oldin middle school and you have some others that are 15 in middle school. Big difference in body mass, muscle and co-ordination at those ages. Right?

To me an even bigger distinction in high school. Most kids entering high school at 14 yrs. old. Possibly playing against young men and women 18-19 yrs. old.

Could this be a possible explanation of blacks maturing physically faster, because many who participate in athletics are indeed older?

I know that 3 of my black teammates in high school failed or were held back in elementary school at least once!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Hey Carolina Speed, technically, there is no "age limit" in high school sports, just the condition that the athlete is a high school student. So theoretically, you could have a 25 year-old HS senior, if they are like Bart Simpson and have been held back for years
smiley2.gif

So yes, since many black students have a higher probability of being held back, because of social (fatherless families) issues and relative intelligence, not to mention behavioral issues, a fair percentage of middle school and high school black athletes are significantly more physically developed than their white teammates. I don't consider that to be an enormous factor in their recruiting numbers, however. The skin tone is enough. We've documented plenty of black runts with average measurables and below average production who are still highly touted by the anti-white recruiting services.

floridaboy99

In Florida the oldest that you can be to compete in varsity sport is 19 years 9 months. Once you have passed that you are no longer eligible to play.