2024 Outdoor season

mastermulti

Master
I know Lemaitre gets a lot of flack for not being tough enough mentally but I really think he showed a lot of mental fortitude in certain races. This one specifically where he had a lot of ground to make up against a stacked field and won.
I always thought he generally came through when it really counted. He didn't always look confident but I know from personal experience how niggles and less than perfect preparation affect confidence. Those two Bronzes (World and Olympics) showed a good deal of mental toughness

mastermulti

Master
I know Lemaitre gets a lot of flack for not being tough enough mentally but I really think he showed a lot of mental fortitude in certain races. This one specifically where he had a lot of ground to make up against a stacked field and won.
there's a youtube vid of another big 100m race he had where he beat Dwayne Chambers. When they interviewed Chambers he said something akin to "once he got past me there was nothing I could do) referring to his sheer speed

mastermulti

Master
Those were some of the best times on this board. The Lemaitre Thread is epic! He will always be the first white sprinter to go sub 10 wind legal and he also run sub 20 in the 200 meters. So much talent but he just never had the confidence & work ethic to get even faster. He truely was as natural a talent as you will ever see!
possibly only Bolt measured a higher top speed in track history. He was never the complete sprinter (taking start and initial acceleration phase into account) but his sheer top speed was something to behold for a few years there. Indeed his speed endurance shown in his 2011/2012 200metre races was great - yet bizarre that he always looked at death's door after his 200s

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm guessing one of the buses for the German Team broke down or something. They had around 4 sprinters that didn't run including
Julian Wagner. Was hoping to see Wagner throw down a good time but both Wagner and some of the other guys did not show.

Last edited:

sprintstar

Mentor
The real question is "why" If Lemaitre is going to run these kinds of times why is he competing? Is he truly looking to get into real sprinting shape and try to make the French team for the Olympics or is he just traveling?

white is right

Hall of Famer
a bit sad when I can mentally picture him coming over the top of these guys who were running 10.11 - instead of 7 metres down
I looked at the list of times for the meet and Lemaitre didn't come last as I initially thought. This meet was a level above an all comers meet and had 11 flat participants who were NCAA athletes.

I hope he isn't desperate to hang around in track as track has had a similar history to boxing or the former Big 4 league players kicking around low paying minor leagues desperately chasing pay cheques. Ben Johnson did this for years until he was exposed as a 11 flat shot runner and a few years ago Walter Dix was running times similar to what Lemaitre was running this weekend.

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I looked at the list of times for the meet and Lemaitre didn't come last as I initially thought. This meet was a level above an all comers meet and had 11 flat participants who were NCAA athletes.

I hope he isn't desperate to hang around in track as track has had a similar history to boxing or the former Big 4 league players kicking around low paying minor leagues desperately chasing pay cheques. Ben Johnson did this for years until he was exposed as a 11 flat shot runner and a few years ago Walter Dix was running times similar to what Lemaitre was running this weekend.
They ran many heats of the 100m, with the best runners in the 1st heat. Lemaitre came last in that heat, as you can see in the video.