2006 Oklahoma Sooners

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the probable white starters for 2006.

Offense
FB-Dane Zaslaw
TE-Joe Jon Finley
LT-Chris Messner
C-Jon Cooper
RG-J.D. Quinn
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
What happened to Oklahoma having good white defensive players, especially at the linebacker position?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The 4 white LB's are Sophomores Ryan Reynolds, Kyle Petersen, Senior Jonathan Jordan, and Freshman Brandon Crow. The other 7 are black. I am sure we will see more of the white LB's as the season progresses and through the next 2-3 years. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
But it appears obvious to me that the "blacker" Oklahoma has gotten, the more they tend to lose games... they've haven't been a real national title contender other than the controversial backing their way in a couple years ago after K-State dismantled them in the Big 12 title game..

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree. I should have specified I meant the white LB's, so I'll go back and change that.

Triad

Mentor
Oklahoma just got a little darker, starting QB, Rhett Bomar, has been dismissed from the team for having a bogus summer job and getting paid. The new starter is projected to be the former black QB, Thompson. Edited by: Triad

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, this night is full of good news!
smiley11.gif

Triad

Mentor
OK Dismissals

Right guard JD Quinn is also out. The above article says junior college transfer, Joey Halzle, might get the nod at QB and Thompson has been moved to WR.

Triad

Mentor
DOUBLE STANDARD IN NORMAN???

From ESPN.com:
"Stoops won't or can't say it, but Bomar wasn't exactly beloved by his teammates. That might have made it slightly easier for him to dismiss his starting quarterback and replace him with senior Paul Thompson. But if you know Stoops, he would have done the same to the great Peterson ... to his own mother ... to the team chaplain. You commit an NCAA felony, you're history.

Adrian Peterson drove a late-model Lexus for weeks -- from the same dealership who employed Bomar and Quinn -- even though he hadn't arranged financing or finalized the sale. He later returned the car because of yet unexplained reasons ("We were gonna purchase the car, but the payments were gonna be too high, so we took the car back," his mother said in April; the dealership has been sold to a new owner). OU insists no rules were broken, but it feels murky, vague and, yeah, suspicious."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It seems to be happening moreoften that white QBs on mostly black teams are disliked by their teammates, and eventually benched (or in Bomar's case kicked off the team) until the popular black backup becomes the starter.

The more whites become a smallminority in football, the more difficult it becomes for the ones who remain.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I always thought no show jobs are the bread and butter of corrupt programs. Who can forget the stories coming out Ohio State about their stars never showing up for labourer jobs and earning their cheques. I think someone ratted Bomar out.......
smiley18.gif

Triad

Mentor
One of the original reports claimed Bomar filed taxes for the extra income. They claimed he was working 5 hours per week but getting paid for 40 hours. The figure they gave was $18,000. Not sure if that was Bomar's total take or just the illegal part or Bomar and Quinn together. Right now they may not be eligible at any NCAA division so they may have to go NAIA or Juco.

Wonder why Bomar was disliked? He was just a hot shot white freshman that beat out the favored black starter who has been on campus forever after one game and then showed up the playmakers, Peterson included, in winning MVP of the bowl game. He was getting a lot of credit in preseason magazines as well.

Waiting on the whole story to come out and the media outrage about ruining the lives of two athletes and the need for second chances.

Triad

Mentor
For the OU fans: Did Stoops have a choice concerning Quinn and Bomar's termination?

For those familiar with the Ohio State program:

What exactly did QB Troy Smith do to receive his 2 game suspension last year? I read where he accepted money from a booster. How much?

whiteCB

Master
Triad said:
For the OU fans: Did Stoops have a choice concerning Quinn and Bomar's termination?

For those familiar with the Ohio State program:

What exactly did QB Troy Smith do to receive his 2 game suspension last year? I read where he accepted money from a booster. How much?

Troy Smith aceppted $500 from a booster.